Your Rights & Protection

If you or your children are in danger contact the police.

You have the right to live a life without fear or intimidation. There are laws to protect you from further abuse from your partner or ex-partner.

Knowing some of the ways you can be protected will help you to keep safe. Laws can change and new laws are introduced so the best way to gain the most up to date information is to speak to someone who is able to give you the facts.  You can contact a solicitor, Women’s Aid, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, Victim Support or housing offices (see contact details).

Things to remember:Woman looking away

  • You have the right to police assistance if you are being assaulted.
  • Domestic abuse is a crime and should be treated the same way as any other crime.
  • The police will decide if there is enough evidence to charge your partner; it is not up to you.
  • You may be able to apply for an interdict with powers of arrest to prevent the perpetrator from approaching you, or coming within a certain distance from your home.
  • Breach of interdict could lead to the perpetrator being arrested.
  • A Non-harassment order is a court order which prevents your partner or ex-partner from doing things, such as, following you, texting you constantly, or other actions which threaten you.
  • You may be able to have your partner removed from the marital home by means of an exclusion order.
  • If you are made homeless due to Domestic Abuse, you are entitled to temporary accommodation and can apply for permanent accommodation from the council.

Perthshire Women’s Aid can assist you to make sense of the above and
support you as you move towards a life free from abuse.